A wide range of benefit recipients will also receive a Christmas bonus this year. Many claimants can receive a small boost to their income, and the payment is tax-free too, but this will not be included in the payment you receive close to December 25 and 26.
As Christmas falls on a Saturday this year, so payments would not be made on this date – but you will be paid the working day before, which is Friday, December 24.
For those whose payment would be due on December 27 and 28, which are bank holidays this year, your payment date is likely to be December 24 as well.
For the New Year bank holiday on January 3, your payment will most likely be issued on December 31.
The DWP has not yet confirmed the payment dates for Christmas and New Year. Express.co.uk will update this article when more information is available.
READ MORE: Pensioners who claim this ONE key State benefit get SIX more
To qualify for the Christmas Bonus you must be living in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Gibraltar, any European Economic Area (EEA) country, or Switzerland during the qualifying week.
You must be receiving one of the following benefits:
• Armed Forces Independence Payment
• Attendance Allowance
• Carer’s Allowance
• Constant Attendance Allowance (paid under Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes)
• Contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (once the main phase of the benefit is entered after the first 13 weeks of claim)
• Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
• Incapacity Benefit at the long-term rate
• Industrial Death Benefit (for widows or widowers)
• Mobility Supplement
• Pension Credit – the guarantee element
• Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
• State Pension (including Graduated Retirement Benefit)
• Severe Disablement Allowance (transitionally protected)
Shocking map shows just how few GPs there are [INSIGHT]
How long will the energy crisis last? Expert reveals high price [ANALYSIS]
UK food shortages: Full list and which areas are worst affected [EXPLAINER]
When is the Christmas bonus paid?
The Christmas bonus is usually paid in the first full week of December.
This year, that means the Christmas bonus will be paid on the week commencing December 6.
You do not need to make a claim for the Christmas bonus – it is automatically paid when you get your benefit payment.
The payment will likely show up as ‘DWP XB’ on your account.